Saturday, 2024-04-20, 10:10 AM
Welcome Guest | RSS

Welcome To The [A]uto [M]otive [G]odz Site & Forums

AMGMotorsports

My race sim cockpit - Page 4 - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: B1gch0pper, Ryan  
Forum » Live For Speed » Technical Help » My race sim cockpit (The way I play...)
My race sim cockpit
[SMOKE]Date: Sunday, 2012-12-09, 3:12 PM | Message # 76
Pro Racer
Group: Team Member
Here's Wayne's situation
Attachments: 4515751.jpg (114.8 Kb)

[SMOKE]Date: Sunday, 2012-12-09, 3:17 PM | Message # 77
Pro Racer
2 more pics of my setup.

Added (2012-12-09, 3:17 PM)
---------------------------------------------
If anybody has any suggestions for how to get a comfy seat that wouldn't have me too low (the lcd is dark looking from a low viewing angle), and where the wheel and pedals are all in a nice place - I'm open to suggestions that are under $100

Attachments: 6549734.jpg (76.2 Kb) · 3627122.jpg (63.9 Kb)

[SMOKE]Date: Sunday, 2012-12-09, 3:33 PM | Message # 78
Pro Racer
Oh and here's my car in real life (heehee, not really)

Added (2012-12-09, 3:33 PM)
I wanna see everybody post pics of their setup - no matter how crappy it is hehe.. Sin, post a pic of your wheel/desk/cockpit/rig whatever you got..

Attachments: 1564528.jpg (274.9 Kb)

[SMOKE]Date: Sunday, 2012-12-09, 5:32 PM | Message # 79
Pro Racer
more pics of my sucky seating arrangements. Told my wife to get the ///AMG tattoo in one of 'em, but you can't really see it Heehee
As you can see, this position kills my lower back in about 2 minutes.
Attachments: 0294432.jpg (120.2 Kb) · 0576183.jpg (101.3 Kb)

[SMOKE]Date: Monday, 2012-12-10, 8:44 PM | Message # 80
Pro Racer
Here's some with my kids playing. The kid in the close up pic is Luke, and the kid in the farther away one who's smiling is Logan. And the third one is Logan driving (you can't see it in the pic but I'm working the pedals for him because he's too short). I'm starting them out on LFS early, they'll be the next Trismo's when they grow up!

Added (2012-12-10, 8:44 PM)
Okay, well I guess everyone else is too shy to show how they race. That's okay, but it would've been cool to see anyways. I'm thinking of building a simple rig or at least using better furniture Heehee. I was hoping to see how more people sit and play so I'd get some ideas.. I can't do what Chopper did but maybe something like what Sam did. I'll post pics if I end up upgrading.

Attachments: 4885759.jpg (116.0 Kb) · 9973382.jpg (90.5 Kb) · 0057433.jpg (101.6 Kb)

Message edited by [SMOKE] - Sunday, 2012-12-09, 6:05 PM

[SMOKE]Date: Monday, 2012-12-10, 8:58 PM | Message # 81
Pro Racer
Actually, [AMG] Wayne did build a simple cockpit out of some furniture lying around - I didn't fit because I was too tall Heehee. Here's some pics:

Added (2012-12-10, 8:58 PM)
I found this video (I don't know this person) but this is my favorite sim racing cockpit out of all the ones I've ever seen. Sure, I've seen more elaborite, hi tech ones that cost more or have more gadgets - but this one just stands out in my memory. It has a sleek immersive look going on and I think it's perfect. Also, it's cute how he put the left and right speakers like side view mirrors hehehe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sJQKGLblho

Attachments: 4404842.png (33.9 Kb) · 5148625.png (126.3 Kb)

Message edited by [SMOKE] - Monday, 2012-12-10, 8:53 PM

SinDate: Tuesday, 2012-12-11, 11:18 PM | Message # 82
Alien Racer
Group: Administrators
Wow man there's a lot of stuff there, and some great pics. But I can't believe your sitting on a stool... The fact that you can do the times you do whilst sitting on that is awesome, your back must be killing you after a few races.

I've never put up a pic of my setup before, so here it is...
Attachments: 1251808.jpg (170.3 Kb)

Team Member

[SMOKE]Date: Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 1:43 AM | Message # 83
Pro Racer
Wow! That looks really cozy Sin, and also you're desk is so much tidier and stylish than the other guys on here! Now that's a desk that's wife approved Heehee. Hey is that one of those chairs with wheels? If so, how do you keep it from sliding around during racing? Also, what's that black stuff on the edge of the desk where the wheel mounts?> some sort of protection for the surface of the desk from the G27 clamps? I did notice one thing I'd change.. the monitor is up on that upper tier and I think I'd feel like I was having to look up at it, I'd probably remove that upper level part of the desk and place the monitor down on the same level as the wheel - this way it's like you're looking strait ahead and your eyes might be able to correlate the positioning of your car in the game with your body in real life more closely. Of course I'd have to actually sit there myself to know if it's really a problem to begin with. (Mind if I come over for a few hrs? I'll bring some beers). Acutally, with the upper tier removed - you could put a big old 42 inch there or something that spans the whole width of the desk. (Check out 2nd pic I uploaded in this post).
I'm getting ideas for my future cockpit build.. remember Sam's? (I'll post the picture of his rig here) - But I'm gonna do it just like his. However, in the pic it looks like he wouldn't be able to reach the wheel so good and also it looks like his seat is too low for maximum comfort. So I'll make one just like his but modify the dimensions to where it has me seated the same way I am in my real car for maximum comfort. But I like his design: simple, cheap, but modified to be very, very comfy is what I'm gonna go for. I want something that I can just sink into and fall asleep in, something that feels like a relaxing massage while I'm in it ya know.. I figure if I'm 100% comfortable I'll be able to stay focused without the distraction of discomfort. I'll try to put that as the top priority when I craft it.
Everything should be within a comfortable reach: the pedals should be where my feet naturally want to be without having to move my legs in any odd way to reach them. And when I fully depress a pedal - it should be arranged where it's simple to get the pedal all the way down comfortably without any stretching of my legs or anything. The wheel should be right where my hands naturally want it, not too high, too low, too far, or too close. Also, the monitor will be placed as close to the wheel as possible so that the ingame wheel seems to match where mine is allmost. I should place it where I get the most immersive perspective. I want it where my eyes naturally want to look on their own. Lastly, I want to get a seat that has the capability of sliding forward or backwards on rails using a lever - just like in a real car.
After all that's accomplished, I can add on to it every now and then with things like surround speakers that mount on the back left and right of the headrest so that it adds to the atmosphere. And then eventually, triple screens of course. And I'll also get a different wheel eventually, maybe a G27 or perhaps a Thrustmaster T500 - so I'll have those in mind when I design it so that any wheel can be mounted. Also, if I get a G27 or T500 - I think I might reverse mount my pedals so they drop from above like in a real car. I saw a youtube video that made it look easy - G27 pedals have some screws that are removed and then the pedals are just mounted on whatever you want and however you want - so I might do that.
I was thinking of how I was gonna be able to accurately figure out what dimensions to cut the wood and all that so that it would end up being as pefect as I'm hoping to get it as far as pedal/wheel placement and all that without a lot of trial and error. I think I've figured it out:
I'll take my pedals out to my real car in the driveway and then hop in the front passenger side and put the pedals on the floorboard down there (no room on driver's side for my Logitech pedals because the real pedals are in the way there). Then I'd put the Logitech pedals where they feel nice.. then I'd grab a tape measurer and measure distance from pedals to seat (both height and lateral distance from a specified point on the seat and also on something else like my body for example in case the seat I get from the junkyard isn't the same as the seat in my car). Then I'll hop in the driver's side and measure from the floorboard up to the real car's wheel - then from real car's wheel to the front of the seat mounting and measure again from the wheel to where the seat back is when it's where I like it. This way should save me alot of headaches and recuts because I allready know I'm cozy in my real car - so I'll just steal those dimensions for my sim racing rig. I'm a genius! Heeheehee

Added (2012-12-12, 1:43 AM)
If you did get the monitor that spanned your entire desk - you'd look at your old tiny monitor and think: "How on Earth did I ever used to play on that screen?" Heeheehee You should definately do it buddy - Call it a Christmas gift for the wife or something and tell her she can play LFS on it whenever she wants. (^_^)

Attachments: 4045668.jpg (95.3 Kb) · 7537183.jpg (291.6 Kb)

Message edited by [SMOKE] - Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 1:27 AM

B1gch0pperDate: Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 2:08 AM | Message # 84
Alien Racer
Group: Moderators
Quote (|SMOKE|)
Wow!................

Ok I have a couple of words of advice for you mate that you can either choose to use or not, I have only learnt from trial and error etc...

Firstly, I made the mistake of building it so it fit me perfectly, so I was comfortable, exactly like you said above, the thing is, racecars are not setup like real cars... When driving a real car you are sat back and relaxed, when in a race car you are sat up straight and tensed...
What im trying to say is that I noticed that my shoulders started hurting after long sessions of racing because I was sat too far away from the wheel, almost with arms outstretched like in a road car, but I have now completely overhauled my cockpit and took the seat a lot lower, and the wheel higher and closer to my body...
If you watch any BTCC race or basically any tin top race for most drivers the steering wheel is about 18 inchs maybe from their chest, facing their neck or head, they almost look through the wheel, its much more upright with elbows bent lots and tucked in, but gives you so much more control than arms outstretched...
Just something to think about, helps with wheel control and racing stamina, not had any problems since me and Ben changed it a couple of months ago...

And also you were mentioning the height of the monitor in respect to head/eyes... The rule is that the horizon on screen (so generally the centre of the screen but not always) should be exactly the same height as your eyes, thats the most comfortable for the neck and the most realistic...

Just my two cents mate, when I get a chance I'll post some pics of what I have done and show what I mean smile

Good Luck!

Team Member

B1gch0pperDate: Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 2:13 AM | Message # 85
Alien Racer
This is what I mean, the IDEAL racing position...

Team Member

[SMOKE]Date: Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 2:24 AM | Message # 86
Pro Racer
Thanks for the cool info Chopper! biggrin
Actually, I guess I should've clarified that I don't like to lean back in my real car - I've got the seat pulled forward and the seatback raised up sorta like an old granny Heehee - the 1st pic in my last post of Sam's rig shows the seat all leaned back and really far away from the wheel and that's the sorta thing I was saying I would change in my build - I'd like to have my back allmost perfectly upright and be quite close to the wheel. I can see where it would be easy to think I had the image of being all reclined considering how much I emphasised comfort.
However when I say comfort - I don't just mean physical comfort, I also meant comfort at the controls if ya know what I mean.. Like having it so that I'm snuggly wrapped in the seat while I'm upright and right there at the wheel. That tip about the horizon will be usefull buddy - Keep those tips coming!

Added (2012-12-12, 2:19 AM)
Just saw the picture: Yep that's the sorta seating postition I had in mind - the only thing that's different is the height of the wheel in the race car there - I didn't imagine mine being quite so high - would seem like it would be a bit weird, but if that's the correct placement then I'll use it in my design. Good stuff buddy

Added (2012-12-12, 2:24 AM)
Actually.. after looking at the picture a bit longer.. I realised that what I had in mind originally was a bit off - Even though I had envisioned sitting close to the wheel with an upright back - I hadn't considered having it so that my butt was so low and the pedals around that height in relation to me - I had thought it would feel more comfy for the pedals to be lower like in a street car. These are the things that I'm glad I'm not finding out after cutting the lumber Heeheehee
Good looking out buddy.

Message edited by [SMOKE] - Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 2:16 AM

B1gch0pperDate: Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 2:37 AM | Message # 87
Alien Racer
Yeah no probs mate, the seat of my race seat (so the bottom of my thighs) is around 12 or 14 inches from the floor, and my pedals are mounted upside down but normally like a real car, so yes my legs are almost horizontal...
If I were to start again and build a second one, which ive thought about, I would start with the seat, then sit in it, hold the wheel exactly where I want it, up high and close, build it in, then do the pedals last, so you legs are almost straight, the more bend you have in your legs the more tired your ankles get, your legs need to have lots of room, not so you are stretching but comfortable... Can race forever then smile

If you think about it you can imagine how low you have to be in comparison to the wheel and monitor, if the wheel is neck height, then your eyes are only just above that looking over the wheel, then the center of your monitors need to be about that height
wink

Team Member

[SMOKE]Date: Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 2:52 AM | Message # 88
Pro Racer
Okay, don't make fun of me.. but I guess I had a better chair than that darn barstool all these years and just didn't realise it. After taking your advice - I went into my wife's computer room and pulled out her little chair that unlike my trusty barstool - actually has back support. Anyways, the reason I never used this chair before is because I thought it would have me seated too low and it felt a bit odd the 1st time I tried it. But guess where the wheel ended up being:> Right at my neck like you suggested - so I scooted in to about where the wheel in the pic you posted would be in distance and pushed my pedals back and low and behold - I'm seated allmost exactly the way the racer in the pic is now. Heehee. The only thing that isn't right at the moment is that my eyeline isn't at the horizon on the monitor, it's a bit below it, and I can't move the monitor any lower on this desk thing than it allready is at the moment.. Hmm, interesting stuff buddy. All good information for the upcoming build.

SinDate: Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 5:48 PM | Message # 89
Alien Racer
Quote (|SMOKE|)
Wow! That looks really cozy Sin, and also you're desk is so much tidier and stylish than the other guys on here! Now that's a desk that's wife approved Heehee. Hey is that one of those chairs with wheels? If so, how do you keep it from sliding around during racing? Also, what's that black stuff on the edge of the desk where the wheel mounts?> some sort of protection for the surface of the desk from the G27 clamps? I did notice one thing I'd change.. the monitor is up on that upper tier and I think I'd feel like I was having to look up at it, I'd probably remove that upper level part of the desk and place the monitor down on the same level as the wheel - this way it's like you're looking strait ahead and your eyes might be able to correlate the positioning of your car in the game with your body in real life more closely. Of course I'd have to actually sit there myself to know if it's really a problem to begin with.

Thanks mate - the desk was bought for me and me alone lol, it's just perfect for what I use it for. as for the monitor that's at the perfect height for me as I'm 6ft tall, so I don't have to look up at the screen one bit. The chair does have wheels but it's big and heavy plus my carpet is quite deep so it never moves unless I push it, it also goes up and down and reclines into a good position also - there's even some dips in the carpet now where the wheels go, it's settled in nicely. The black stuff on the edge of the desk gives the clamps something to grip on - it's 5 inch wide plumbers tape (very sticky and thicker than normal tape), sometimes the wheel would move just a little bit but that was enough to make me rethink how to mount it securely... I didn't want to say to people that I crashed because my wheel came off the desl wink

Team Member

[SMOKE]Date: Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 9:24 PM | Message # 90
Pro Racer
My wheel comes off the desk at least once every 10 races, maybe I should get some of the tape. I'm also 6 ft. tall, ya know I really need to get one of those chairs - how much was that one?

SinDate: Thursday, 2012-12-13, 1:40 AM | Message # 91
Alien Racer
That chair was about £60 - but it was on offer from about £100, it's really good for my racing style... I'd defintely recommend that you get one good

Team Member

[SMOKE]Date: Thursday, 2012-12-13, 7:00 AM | Message # 92
Pro Racer
No comment on the cheesy crudely pasted big screen in the pic? Heeheehee, I figured you'd get a kick outta that.

SinDate: Thursday, 2012-12-13, 12:04 PM | Message # 93
Alien Racer
Haha yeah sorry I forgot to mention that I liked what you did there, I will be getting a larger screen but its not been a priority as the 19" does the job well... I will probably get at least a 32" widescreen when I get some spare cash smile

Team Member

B1gch0pperDate: Thursday, 2012-12-13, 4:15 PM | Message # 94
Alien Racer
Quote (Sin)
I will probably get at least a 32" widescreen

Or 2x more 19" screens to go either side wink

Team Member

SinDate: Saturday, 2012-12-15, 12:16 PM | Message # 95
Alien Racer
Yeah that is something I've thought about but I don't know if I want the aggro of setting it all up

Team Member

Forum » Live For Speed » Technical Help » My race sim cockpit (The way I play...)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024