Sunday, 2024-05-05, 11:50 PM
Welcome Guest | RSS

Welcome To The [A]uto [M]otive [G]odz Site & Forums

AMGMotorsports

The Real Driving Simulator? - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: B1gch0pper, Ryan  
Forum » General » General Discussion » The Real Driving Simulator? (comparing my laptime with real life time)
The Real Driving Simulator?
[SMOKE]Date: Friday, 2011-07-29, 2:53 PM | Message # 1
Pro Racer
Group: Team Member
I was playing Gran Turismo 4 on my old PS2 this morning for old time's sake. Anyways, I spent a few hrs in Time Attack mode driving all my favorite cars on Nurburgring to see how they stack up against each other. I knew I had to find a way to make it a fair contest, so I made some rules for myself: All cars used must be default stock, no changes to parts or settings allowed. All cars must be driven with Sports Medium tires and no driving assists and manual transmission. Also, I needed to be sure that I knew the best racing line for the Ring, so I drove it over and over until I was very familiar with the course and could get the same times consistantly.
Here's where it get's interesting... I decided to check my Nurburgring times with the real times of the same cars. I was amazed to find that they were allmost identical! I never expected that from an old PS2 game. Here is an example of my findings:
NSX-R - 7:56.783 Nurburgring - Gan San Kurosawa - Real Life
NSX-R - 7:56.915 Nurburgring - [SMOKE] - Gran Turismo 4 PS2
Stock default NSX-R, no upgrades of any kind, no driving assists, sports medium tires, manual transmission. And no video game style driving: no shortcuts, grazing walls or anything. Just proper racing line driving the same as the guy driving it in real life on youtube. Anyways, I thought that was kind of interesting. It surprised the crap outta me - so I thought I'd share with you guys.

Added (2011-07-29, 2:53 PM)
---------------------------------------------
This makes me wish LFS had an NSX-R and the Nurburgring - to see if it would be the same in LFS as well. I know that Gran Turismo 4 doesn't have perfectly realistic physics, but for whatever reason, the times are the same. Maybe because the cars are acurate to the real ones and the track is accurate to the real one - and the physics are close enough. Either way - this had made me really appreciate Gran Turismo. Now I want to take my car in the game and add just one part and test, then remove that part and add one other part and test - etc. To see which part I should buy in real life to get the best feel and results. biggrin

SinDate: Friday, 2011-07-29, 6:11 PM | Message # 2
Alien Racer
Group: Administrators
Interesting stuff m8 , but wait till S3 is released and we have Rockingham to race around ... it's a real track from here in England , you will then be able to test your driving skills in LFS as well .

biggrin

Team Member

[SMOKE]Date: Friday, 2011-07-29, 6:32 PM | Message # 3
Pro Racer
Looking forward to that buddy. In a perfect world - LFS would allow me to experience a Toyota Supra RZ or something against an RX7 at AMG. But until that day... I have to play other games from time to time to get my fix for something real. And allthough GTR2 and Rfactor have some real cars.. neither one have real road cars, they only have race cars. Except for mods - and mods are a big turnoff for me, because a mod that makes it seem like a Nissan R34 for example, isn't the same as an R34 that was made accurately with care by the developers to be an exact representation. And that's what I want in a racing sim.. the chance to simulate driving any car I feel like, and not have to wonder if the real thing feels differently. And as of this date - even though the technology exists - there is no great racing sim that has these cars. Gran Turismo is the closest we get, but it's missing lots of things that LFS has right. Likewise LFS is missing many things that Gran Turismo has right. It's a shame that neither one is the complete package. I really, really thirst to drive real Japanese sports cars from time to time, and I wish I wasn't forced to do it on inferior sims. Now Gran Turismo 5 may be as good a sim as LFS AND have all the real cars and real tracks.. I don't know because I don't have a PS3. (Sorry, if I'm sounding like a Gran Turismo fanboy). No more complaints - I suppose it will be that much more appreciated the day there is finally ONE racing sim to rule them all.. one sim to find them, one sim to bring them all... and in the darkness bind them.

Message edited by [SMOKE] - Friday, 2011-07-29, 7:02 PM

kvDate: Saturday, 2011-07-30, 8:37 AM | Message # 4
Pro Racer
LFS, rFactor, iRacing.

i think rFactor 2 will be the new "king" cos realistic graphics+new tyre physics+changing weather!!!

but need wheel if i wanna race with rFactor... smile

Team Member

SinDate: Saturday, 2011-07-30, 8:58 PM | Message # 5
Alien Racer
Group: Administrators
Quote (kv)
but need wheel

This is something that you DEFINITELY won't regret !!

good

Team Member

Forum » General » General Discussion » The Real Driving Simulator? (comparing my laptime with real life time)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024