Thursday, 2024-04-25, 9:40 AM
Welcome Guest | RSS

Welcome To The [A]uto [M]otive [G]odz Site & Forums

AMGMotorsports

Do you Autoclutch? - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: B1gch0pper, Ryan  
Forum » Live For Speed » Technical Help » Do you Autoclutch? (Autoclutch = Yes or No)
Do you Autoclutch?
[SMOKE]Date: Tuesday, 2011-10-18, 4:49 AM | Message # 1
Pro Racer
Group: Team Member
Okay let me start this thread out by saying that we're talking about autoCLUTCH here - NOT automatic transmission. (People allways think that when you say autoclutch). I've done about 10,000 laps at BL1, got a pb of 1:33.50 and yet... I've never turned autoclutch off. And I've noticed many other racers use autoclutch (allthough most won't admit it or don't even realise it). However, all the world class drivers at AMG GTI have autoclutch @ NO, and use either a clutch pedal or a clutch-button for every up or downshift. Now all this time I've left on the autoclutch for 2 reasons: 1)My wheel has no clutch pedal (DFGT) I have mapped clutch to a button (for launches or rev lift) despite the fact that I use autoclutch , but I simply use the paddles for up and downshifts because my clutch button is not easy to find and it's awkward to press sometimes. 2) I've never been given evidence that turning autoclutch off provides a gain or that leaving it on handicaps.
All that being said... As of this day I've been practising with autoclutch off and using that out of reach stinking button on my wheel for clutchwork - because EVERYONE acts like it's SUCH a manly thing to do the clutch work yourself and that only little girls use autoclutch "BLAH BLAH BLAH!" So I'm on a mission to master using this out of the way clutch button for all my shifts to see if it improves my times. Who knows... too early to tell.

Message edited by [SMOKE] - Tuesday, 2011-10-18, 4:52 AM

SingleEnginePilotDate: Tuesday, 2011-10-18, 4:21 PM | Message # 2
Rookie
Group: Users
I was under the impression that using the clutch and using 'heal/toe' technique really only helps in turbo cars. It helps you keep pressure up to turbo. I don't know for sure though because I'm in your position (no clutch pedal).

I'd be interested to hear from others.

SinDate: Tuesday, 2011-10-18, 5:18 PM | Message # 3
Alien Racer
Group: Administrators
If your talking about button clutch this is forbidden in some leagues as its seen as a sort of "unfair advantage" ... personally i've never tried it as i use sequential gear change or Auto for FXR @ AS3 only .

Team Member

[SMOKE]Date: Tuesday, 2011-10-18, 5:56 PM | Message # 4
Pro Racer
Nope - I'm not talking about "button clutch" (whatever that is), I'm talking about in Options/Driver/Autoclutch. That's another thing.. "button clutch" - What is that about? I allways here stuff like "So and so was button-clutching, cheating" stuff like that. However, I don't know what they're talking about. I've never raced with anything but sequential and autoclutch on. But as I said in my first post - I'm going to start doing my own clutch-work from now on. Now, on my wheel there is no clutch pedal - so obviously I must map clutch to a button on the wheel. Would this make me some sort of cheater? If I had a pedal for it I'd happily map the clutch to the pedal, in fact it would be soooo much easier with a pedal. I find it quite difficult to reach up with my left thumb and locate the button for clutch on the wheel and then tap the downshift paddle while I'm going through the chicane. Frankly it's awkward and has slowed me down a bit. Sometimes I can't even succed at it and I miss the clutch and can't get my 3rd gear or something and then it ruins my laptime. So I don't know how this is cheating. My guess is that this "button-clutch" cheating technique that people talk about but never properly explain is something entirely different. I can see if somebody macros the function of a clutch, downshift, throttle blip into a single button - Now THAT would be cheating. But if that's what they're talking about - they should change the term to "macro heel and toe" or something, because having to press a button for your clutch because you don't have a pedal isn't an advantage. I wish I had a clutch pedal which feels instinctive and natural for my foot. If anything - using a button for the clutch is a major disadvantage until you get used to doing it, and even then - the only advantage I can think of is that it's faster to press a button than to press a pedal. Personally, I can press a pedal pretty darn fast, and I'd get alot more comfort and satisfaction out of it than contorting my thumbs and fingers on and off a half dozen buttons hidden on my wheel while I'm trying to steer through a chicane.

Message edited by [SMOKE] - Tuesday, 2011-10-18, 6:11 PM

rageshgrDate: Tuesday, 2011-10-18, 6:10 PM | Message # 5
Intermediate
Lol, I use KB, I use "button accelerator" I guess I am a cheater LOL. Ya as you said I hope they mean something else when they say button clutch

SinDate: Tuesday, 2011-10-18, 7:03 PM | Message # 6
Alien Racer
Well as far as i know "button clutch" is an option within LFS - this is why i didn't list it as a cheat ... i just know it can be made unusable thru InSim .

Maybe i've gone off-topic , sorry

Team Member

rageshgrDate: Tuesday, 2011-10-18, 7:34 PM | Message # 7
Intermediate
ya some servers disable it I guess, but may be not because its cheating, just their restriction I guess

[SMOKE]Date: Tuesday, 2011-10-18, 11:47 PM | Message # 8
Pro Racer
As long as it's about clutch work - it's not off-topic. And I welcome any information and opinions about anything clutch related. I only started using the clutch yesterday. Sorry if I sounded frustrated in my post - It wasn't directed at you or because of what you wrote. My frustration is that no matter who I ask or where I look, I can't get strait answers about: Autoclutch, button clutch, and all things clutch related. Nobody has ever explained these things in detail. That's why I started this thread. I'm hoping some old pro will come on here and explain the pros and cons of autoclutch and all that. Hope I didn't come across as a grumpy gus in my post.

Message edited by [SMOKE] - Tuesday, 2011-10-18, 11:51 PM

SinDate: Wednesday, 2011-10-19, 9:31 AM | Message # 9
Alien Racer
No no its fine , i know very little about this myself wink

Team Member

Forum » Live For Speed » Technical Help » Do you Autoclutch? (Autoclutch = Yes or No)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024