Sunday, 2024-05-05, 9:40 PM
Welcome Guest | RSS

Welcome To The [A]uto [M]otive [G]odz Site & Forums

AMGMotorsports

PC Upgrade - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: B1gch0pper, Ryan  
Forum » General » Off Topic » PC Upgrade (Need some advice... :nocomp:)
PC Upgrade
B1gch0pperDate: Tuesday, 2011-11-29, 0:54 AM | Message # 1
Alien Racer
Group: Moderators
Well, last Tuesday I posted in the chatbox about how much I was looking forward to 'racenight' on Wednesday, I had even booked Wednesday off from work on holiday to enjoy the day racing and gaming with no missus or kids about, was quite excited about it. Just before I went to bed on Tuesday my PC locked up, stopped completely, no cursor movement, no caps lock light, so switched the PC off and went to bed. sleep
Woke up early Wednesday morning (just after the kids had gone to school and missus to work wink ) but PC would not switch on, CPU fans spun up for around 3 seconds then just powered down. Tried to troubleshoot by disconnecting just about everything one by one and trying again until I was left with just the PSU, motherboard and CPU, I tried with an different (known to be working) PSU and still the same, everything was disconnected, hard drives, RAM, sound card, vid cards, I should have at least booted to bios but nothing, no beeps at all, just 3 secs of spinning fans then off. Anyway after researching on tinternet it seems other people have had exactly the same problem with their Asus M2N32- SLI deluxe MoBo, and in every case it seemed to be the motherboard that was kaput. poor
So started looking into buying a replacement M2N32, but it seems as they are a few years old now they are almost impossible to source brand new, and used ones are going for around £75 - £125, so now im thinking of upgrading, as my old system is a dual core (+5000 2.6Ghz), 4x 1Gb DDR 2...
Im thinking I want/need at least a quad core, (>3.0Ghz), 4Gb or 8Gb of DDR3 RAM with an SLI MoBo system, I can stick with my 2x 8800's for the time being and upgrade them next (they are DDR3 also)...

So my question is, I need a new SLI MoBo, Quad Core CPU and DDR3 RAM for around £250, maybe £300 tops...

"Does anyone out there, who knows anything about hardware and whats good (at a decent price) know where there is a good deal I can take advantage of?" angel

The best I could come up with was this... book bash
Intel I5 2500K 3.3Ghz 8GB DDR3 1333mhz Gigabyte Z68 USB 3 SLI Motherboard Bundle
Is that a good deal or does anyone know any better? hello

Team Member

SinDate: Tuesday, 2011-11-29, 10:31 AM | Message # 2
Alien Racer
Group: Administrators
Quote (B1gch0pper)
Is that a good deal

I would be inclined to make them an offer of £275 as they have given the option to do that - it seems quite a fair price to me , but as we all know PC components change value on an almost daily basis .

Quote (B1gch0pper)
PC would not switch on, CPU fans spun up for around 3 seconds then just powered down.

I had the exact same thing - it was my power supply , i went and bought a bigger one (650w) and hey presto all working again good

Team Member

B1gch0pperDate: Tuesday, 2011-11-29, 10:36 AM | Message # 3
Alien Racer
Quote (Sin)
I would be inclined to make them an offer of £275 as they have given the option to do that

Ha ha ha ha, great minds think alike mate, i did exactly that, made an offer of £275 and it got declined, so back to square one buddy
I prolly will end up buying that system, and maybe upgrade the RAM at a later date, and vid cards also next year. I need a case and a 1Tb HDD too, all just before xmas, oh joy
sad

Team Member

SinDate: Tuesday, 2011-11-29, 6:37 PM | Message # 4
Alien Racer
Keep making offers - maybe just increase it by £5 a couple of times , their bound to cave in ... well i would if i was selling it good

Team Member

B1gch0pperDate: Thursday, 2011-12-01, 4:53 PM | Message # 5
Alien Racer
Yesterday I upped the offer to £285, and he immediately came back with a counter offer of £290, so I bought it, only saved meself £3.99 from list price but hey-ho, at least its on its way now...
Also bought a new case with a 22cm fan in the side to keep things nice and cool in there, and a 500Gb hard drive to store my Steam games on (I filled a 300Gb one and had to start uninstalling games as no room)
Just have to wait till that little lot comes and put it together, then im back in business, hopefully by next week I should be back on track...
And also the stream will be back live again as ive had to rob that pc to surf with...

Team Member

SinDate: Thursday, 2011-12-01, 11:41 PM | Message # 6
Alien Racer
Good stuff m8 , we miss u wink

Team Member

B1gch0pperDate: Friday, 2011-12-02, 12:01 PM | Message # 7
Alien Racer
Well, the MoBo, CPU and RAM just turned up, seems the case wont be delivered until next week, earliest Tuesday. Now the question is, do i install me new bits into a crappy old case and get up and running over the weekend, for maybe 1 or 2 days play, then take it all out again when case turns up, or do I wait and just do it once? Hmmm fool

Team Member

SinDate: Friday, 2011-12-02, 9:02 PM | Message # 8
Alien Racer
If it was me i would wait and only do it once , it seems too much aggro to do it twice - but as u know i am quite lazy wink

Team Member

kvDate: Thursday, 2012-04-12, 2:23 PM | Message # 9
Pro Racer
Group: Team Member
AMD FX-8120 3.10GHz AM3+ BOX vs Intel i5 2500k???

8 vs 4 core...
AMD win the price battle, but its realy better?

Team Member

Message edited by kv - Thursday, 2012-04-12, 2:24 PM

B1gch0pperDate: Thursday, 2012-04-12, 2:45 PM | Message # 10
Alien Racer
Well im not too sure which is best buddy, as I have not used the AMD, but I can tell you that I am VERY VERY happy with my quad core 2500K, it runs at 3.6Ghz stock but can be overclocked a LOT (well over 4.0Ghz with a decent CPU cooler) very easily using software provided, but I havent ventured into that side of things as I haven't needed to...
I cant think of anything that you would need x8 cores for though, most games use one core, some games use x2, newer games maybe x3 (rFactor 2?), but none use x4 yet that im aware of, so x8 is massive overkill, and I would personally have the extra speed of the 3.6Ghz than a 3.1, than extra cores that wont be used...

Team Member

kvDate: Sunday, 2012-04-22, 8:08 AM | Message # 11
Pro Racer
Group: Team Member
okay, thx your infos.

but what is about AMD FX-6200 3.80GHz AM3+ BOX ?? (6core)

its 3,8 /core ???
so maybe -maybe its stronger than (3,6x4) and +2 core

and ....more cheaper.. good

intel looks overpriced for me

but if im build a AMD PC, its better choice ATI VGA ?? or its doesnt matter?

Added (2012-04-22, 8:08 AM)
---------------------------------------------
surprised

cool

wacko

a cool test with GTX680!! triple screen...
rFactor,rFactor2, iracing , pcars...etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFJFmaJKZRk

rfactor2 part start here:
http://youtu.be/HFJFmaJKZRk?t=6m3s

Team Member

Message edited by kv - Sunday, 2012-04-22, 8:13 AM

Forum » General » Off Topic » PC Upgrade (Need some advice... :nocomp:)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024